- August 5, 2016
- Posted by: 1Solutions
- Category: SEO, SEO Updates
Search Engine Optimisation is about making your website easier to understand both by the visitors and the search engines. The best way to keep your content search engine optimised is to constantly research how search engines work. Simultaneously it is important to understand how the customer thinks and Google helps with that by providing various analytics and featured content which underline the parameters that can be used to measure the success of a website. Although there is no definitive way of doing this but here are ten general guidelines that help in extending the outreach of your website. These general guidelines should serve you through any web environment given its fast paced nature.
Top 10 SEO Guidelines
- A clear and unambiguous heading goes a long way in improving organic search results. Clarity of thoughts and content is what customers want. Readers do not blogs or articles that are beating around the bush and take ages to come to their point. A succinct heading is the perfect attention catcher.
- Start your sentences with command words. See this sentence? It begins with a command word “start”. People are on the constant lookout for advice and having command words in the content helps improve search-ability. Again too much of anything is bad and your content should not sound like a teacher scolding a school going kid.
- KISS: Keep it simple and silly. This one helps in every case where the motive is to send across information. Testing someone’s concentration power and reading abilities is suitable only for English proficiency tests. Elsewhere everyone likes to understand things as fast as they can and not waste minutes trying to decipher word meanings and figures of speech. The more effective knowledge transfer is, more effective will be the decision making process.
- An interactive website is extremely helpful. The site should have features that let visitors play around. More time spent on the website is more chances of getting a convert. Most business owners do not pay much attention to this as this does not provide any tangible results. However a lot of design gurus make it a point to add that extra something into the website.
- A general clarity of thought in general is very advantageous. Knowing which page is for what purpose helps in determining the overall structure of the website. This in turn makes it easier for users to navigate through the site.
- Always have Meta tags for your web pages. People do get lazy and often miss out on this excellent opportunity to make their content more visible to the public. Meta tags are short descriptions of one or two sentences of a web page. Keywords are an essential feature here however the Meta description should make sense when read.
- Improving URL Structure is a very logical thing to do. A long and complicated URL goes well only with secure websites that obviously do not want their content to be viewed publicly. However, while reaching out to the masses, a well-structured and simple URL helps create a friendlier content.
- Catering to the need of mobile browsing is important as more and more people begin spending increasing amount of time on their cell phones. Running mobile sites is slightly different from running desktop sites and it is essential that these mobile sites have been indexed by Google.
- Social Media is the main source of information for a large number of people. Having the right accounts in the right places can help improve brand image as well as search results. Having an option to share content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like is a very common feature in websites these days. Make sure you do no lose out on this one.
- Do not over do any of the things mentioned above. There is a reason why search results are divided into “organic” and “paid” search results. The site needs to be organic too. Short term gains might be achieved by stuffing the website with keywords and might provide immediate gains but as they say too much of anything is bad. In the end it has to be the content which will make the sale for you.
Also overdoing SEO “friendly” techniques is known to repel customers who can differentiate between quality content and trash. A lost reputation is gone forever and there is no way it can be brought back. Make sure you aren’t unfairly labelled in the trash category just because of overdoing SEO. Striking the right balance is of paramount importance.