- May 4, 2016
- Posted by: 1Solutions
- Category: Uncategorized, wordpress development
Often users wrongly identify WordPress as just a powerful blogging platform. WordPress has been achieving popularity in the general content management system for a few years now. This blogging tool features pages and posts as the main content types. This is one of the reason that today most wordpress development companies are in high demand.
You can generate as many custom content patterns as per your preferences. And these patterns are known as custom post types. Some post types offered by WordPress include attachment, post, page, Nav Menu and Revision.
WordPress also includes several pre-defined taxonomies. Naming one of them would be a category, which is utilized to sort and group contents into several sections. A website which posts contents on a plenty of topics can divide the contents into sections by using “categories”.
Methods Of Adding Categories In WordPress:
- A category can be produced in WordPress while writing a blog. You will get a meta box on the post editor screen. This box includes an array of existing categories. You can file your post by checking the box next to the category name. You can click on the + Add New Category link to produce your custom category.
- Apart from this, you can also include a new category directly from the Posts >> Categories screen. Provide a Url friendly name in lower case. Make sure to include only numbers, hyphens and letters. Provide a suitable category description and click on Add New Category link. You have to provide the category name while creating a new one. Ignore parents, description and slug field if you wish.
- You can also use Custom Post Type UI plugin to add categories. First, you need to install and activate it. After installing it, open CPT UI > Add/ Edit Post Types to generate a new category type. You can also edit your existing custom post types by using this feature of the plugin.
- Creating custom post types by using a plugin might be problematic. The created categories will disappear when your plugin is deactivated. You can also add categories manually to a custom post type. You just have to add the needed code in your theme’s function. PHP file. Or you can add the code in a site-specific plugin. These codes register an array of arguments. This array obtains two parts. The first part is known to be as labels. The second part contains other arguments such as description, public visibility and slug which will be utilized in URLs for this post type. You need to understand these all before adding categories to your custom posts.
This option defines several options of labels of a custom post type.
In this field, you need to provide a short explanation of your custom post category.
In the simplest form of plugin, the post types do not have any customization. Those won’t be public. Therefore, you need the option called “public” which manages a lot of things. You can have the custom post type visible to public.
By following these methods listed above, you will be able to categorize your custom posts while using WordPress.
Read more about:- How To Bulk Add Posts And Pages In WordPress