- December 6, 2017
- Posted by: Atul Chaudhary
- Category: SEO, Web Designing
One of the most common things that are experienced by many internet users these days is the website 404 error. This error page indicates that the page has been deleted, moved or the non-existence of the URL.
It left the negative impact on the website users as the reputation of the website become badly. Many users left the website or blog after visiting this 404 error page. They switch to the other website.
The bouncing rate of the website or blog can be reduced if this page is properly optimized. In this article, you will know the main reason behind this error and how to deal with this 404 error. Before we start, you must know the main reasons behind this 404 error. There are many reasons behind this error. I am sharing some of them!
This page can occur on your website or blog if you changed your website’s link structure.
If you removed the website content then this error occurs.
If the link is not spelled correctly then this is also the reason behind this error.
When the user comes on a non-existing page then a 404 HTTP status code has been sent to the server automatically. This is to inform the server about the non-existing page of the website or blog. This message will be an awful experience for the users of the website. The booting of the search engine doesn’t be affected by this message.
The owners of the website suffer from this message as they miss out some of the important new users. It is better to solve this 404 error. So, that your website or blog doesn’t lose its new users, links from other website and others useful things. It really affects the users in a very bad way.
You have to deal with this 404 error by using following methods:
- You can link your website’s missing part to any other useful page of your website or blog. So, that user will remain on your website and get some more additional and useful information.
- You can update the misspelled link by sending the updating message to the webmaster if it is present on any other domain.
- Google can also de-index the pages automatically if none of the articles is related to the 404 error page.
- You can use the Google webmaster tools which helps you to de-index the pages.
- You can add something interesting on the page which improves the experience of the user.
- If the problem arises only on a single page then it is better to tell the user that the whole website is working and the problem exists on a single page
- You can tell the user about the error or issue which arises by sending a message to the user. In this way, the user will not experience bad.
- You can send some of the most helpful links of your website on this page for improving the experience of the user.
- You can also tell about the broken links to the website to the users.
- You can reduce the chances of this issue by updating the website address on regular basis.
Now you come to know the reasons behind the 404 pages and how you can fix them. But how do you find out the 404 pages of your website? Here I am going to tell you this!
You have to log in to the Google webmaster tool of your dashboard then click on the Crawl Error button and then select the option for the Not Found pages. A new page will open which will show you a list of not found pages. You can click on the link, and check where they are linked from.
You will get the idea of the source page where these 404 pages are linked to. In this way, you can solve or easily deal with the 404 error for search engine optimization of your website. So, use this method and notice the positive change in your website.